Delicious & favorite South Indian Mutton Sukka
Chettinad Mutton Sukka /Mutton Fry is a popular spicy dish and a must try by all. All dishes prepared are so unique, flavorsome, lip smacking and of course spicy. Yes, Chettinad cuisine is popular for its variety dishes and spicy Non vegetarian dishes. Using of fresh whole spices to the dish makes even a simple dish so flavorful and indulgent. OYC Fresh offers Premium mutton online across Chennai allowing you cook your favorite recipes at ease.
How to make Mutton Sukka Fry?
“Sukka” stands for “Sukha” in hindi which means “DRY”. This dry mutton/lamb masala is pretty easy to make with basic ingredients available. In India it is made with mutton (goat meat) you can replace with lamb, or even chicken.
Chettinad Mutton Sukka Recipe – Spicy Lamb Dry Curry Recipe.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time : 45 minutes
serves : 4
1. Mutton (Goat Meat) : 450 grms / 1.1lb
2. Turmeric Powder : 1/4 tsp
3. Ginger Garlic Paste : 1/2 tsp
4. Red Chili Powder : 1 tsp
5. Salt to taste
To Pressure Cook:
1. Red Small Onion /Shallots: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
2. Garlic: 5 pods (finely chopped)
3. Turmeric powder: 1/2 tsp
4. Coriander powder: 3 tsp
5. Red Chilli Powder: 1 tsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Water : 1-11/2 cup
1. Grated coconut: 2 tbsp
2. Fennel seeds: 1 tsp
3. Poppy Seeds: 1 tsp
For Sautéing :
1. Clove : 2
2. Cinnamon : 1 inch piece
3. Bay leaf : 1
4. Fennel seed : 1 teaspoon
5. Curry leaves : 1 sprig
6. Red Small onion /Shallots : 25-30 or Onion : 2 (Medium)
7. Tomato : 1 (finely chopped)
8. Ginger- Garlic paste : 1 tsp
9. Sakthi Mutton Masala powder or Red Chilli Powder : 1 tsp
10. Lemon Juice : 1 tsp
11. Oil : 3 tbs
1. Wash and cut mutton in to small pieces, marinate with the ingredients given in” To Marinate ” for at least 30 minutes. In pressure cooker, heat 1-2 tbsp of oil, add the marinated mutton and saute for couple of minutes,
2. Add all the ingredients given in “To Pressure cooker” and everything mix well, close the cooker and cook for about 8-10 minutes after couple of whistle (after it comes to full pressure) reduce the fire to medium and then switch of the flame and let it cool naturally. Alternatively, mutton can be cooked in a regular pan; In a pan; cover and cook the meat with 1 cup of hot water for about 20 to 30 minutes or till the mutton is soft. This water will help cook the meat as well as ensure that it does not get charred. At the end of the cooking, there should be at least 1/2 cup of liquid remaining in the mutton. Meantime grind the items given in “To Grind”.
3. Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a kadai/sauce pan, saute with clove, cinnamon, bay leaf, fennel seed and some curry leaves for a minute. Add ginger garlic paste, chopped onion, chopped tomatoes till it turns to translucent.
4. Add the grounded masala and saute well.At this stage open the cooker and separate the mutton pieces with a slotted spoon. Keep it aside.
5. Add the reserve stock/gravy left into the kadai and now add mutton masala powder or red chilli powder, mix well and adjust the salt.
6. Keep stirring the liquid on high heat till most of the water evaporates becomes thick. (Note: Stir often to avoid burning.)
7. Add the cooked mutton pieces and mix well and keep sautéing till the mutton pieces are well coated with masala and becomes dry and starts taking a light blackish/dark brown color. Stir in the remaining curry leaves and remove from the heat.
8. Add the lemon juice and mix well and immediately remove from the stove. The dish will get a darker shade once it rests.
9. Goes well with curd rice, parotta or any roti varieties, biryanis etc. Serve hot & Enjoy!
Over night marination of mutton in refrigerator makes it more juicy and flavorful.
You may adjust the spiciness by increasing or cutting down amount of chill powder.
I recommend using small red onions for the more flavor and taste. Also if you prefer cooking typical Chettinadu style, use sesame oil
Keep in mind, pressure cooking time depends on the type of meat and pressure cooker you use. Good quality meat should cook in 5 to 6 whistles. If using matured meat like lamb allow 6 to 8 whistles while cooking the meat.
Finally add cardamom powder, garam masala powder, curry leaves and mix everything well. Check the seasoning, add salt if required. Continue cooking until it reached the desired consistency and the mutton pieces are coated with the masala.
Sprinkles freshly chopped coriander leaves and serve it hot.